Tuesday, September 15, 2009

A New Twist on Old Maid

A while back, I joined a social network for industrious printer gals called Ladies of Letterpress. It's a diverse group of all sorts of girl printers who trade news, advice, and support. One of the other members, the talented Kathryn Hunter of Blackbird Letterpress in Baton Rouge, organized a letterpress swap over the summer. Participants each designed and printed a pair of cards for a deck of Old Maid. We came up with any character we wanted to, designed and printed 35 pairs, and sent them all to Kathryn to be collated and returned to us as a full deck. One of the requirements Kathryn set forth was that the pair of cards be slightly different from one another – they could be different illustrations, different colors, etc. – just different somehow.

Here is the first card of my pair:



And its mate:



Here they are together for comparison:



Friends will see the autobiographical nature of my character, I'm sure. I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of the full deck...

5 comments:

  1. you are BRILLIANT! beautifully done and it made me laugh so hard! you must show me that deck when it arrives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I also can't wait to see the full ensemble of Multitasking Mabel's gang.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Multitasking Mabel is fantastic--love her! If your new printer gal pals do as nice of a job as you have, well, I hope you decide to sell sets. I now officially want to play Old Maid again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dawn Puderbaugh HodgesNovember 5, 2009 at 6:55 AM

    Christy, that's so fun! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it. Amusing little differences, but similar enough not to confuse somebody trying to match the cards quickly.

    ReplyDelete